We’ve already seen this movie….
Stop me if you’ve heard this one already:
- He has a long history of working well with Democrats, meaning that he would be a great example of being a president of the people, not just conservatives. He would also be able to count on Democrat and media cooperation when it comes to getting nominations confirmed, budgets passed, and progress made.
- By choosing not to publicly preach controversial conservative values, he will present a GOP that belies their public reputation of bigotry, racism, and strident, extreme views.
- His temperate, non-combative persona will appeal to moderates, thus giving Republicans the best chance to win.
- By showing respect for the Democrats, the media will be thrown off their normal attack mode and will give him love, respect, and perhaps children.
- Instead of attacking Democrats personally, blatantly criticizing them for driving the economy over the cliff, sparking racial tensions, and showing a weak face to the world that has only emboldened dictators and jihadists, he only frames things as “policy differences”.
- He will insist that not just he, but all Republicans refrain from harsh criticism of Democrats. After all, they love America just as much as Republicans do.
If you dialed your way-back machine to 2007 and 2008, you see an astoundingly simple mathematical equation.
John Huntsman = John McCain.
Ok, ladies and gentlemen. There seem to be a large number of Republicans, elected and otherwise, who either believe they are conservative and are stupid, or they are just cynically coopting the term for their benefit. Some hide under the cover of the conservative label when it is convenient, but others simply do not understand that their beliefs and opinions, their values and principles, are counter to the conservative movement, and are in fact counter-productive. They work for the enemy while drawing a paycheck from the good guys.
So here’s a quick and dirty little test. 25 questions. If you are a yes on 5 or more, you need check your drawers to see if you have the right equipment. If you get 8 or more, just go buy an Obama t-shirt and get out of here.
I don’t like House Speaker John Boehner. I mean, I would not walk across the street to spit on him if he was on fire. That guy folded, holding 4 aces, on the Government Shutdown Showdown. He is currently talking out of both sides of his mouth on the Debt Limit Firewall. In spite of holding the high cards again, signs point toward him again accepting some crumbs but otherwise capitulating to the CPUSA when that showdown happens. I can hardly wait for how proud that will make me to be an American.
OK, I don’t hate Senator Lamar Alexander (R-TN). But I sure don’t appreciate him. He’s a poster boy for the Republican Establishment. He’s the #3 Republican in the Senate, one of the worst of the “snatch defeat from the jaws of victory” gang, he’s frequently found near the word “bipartisan”, a noted lame-duck session compromiser, and according to my understanding, one of those who works tirelessly behind the scenes to make sure the DeMint-Coburn-Lee-Rubio movement never reaches orbit.